Shared Hosting remains the preferred choice among new website owners as it provides the most cost-effective solution for web hosting. However, it has its own set of limitations. With the growth in traffic, the resource requirement also increases. Also, for a website which stores valuable information like credit card details in an e-commerce website, Shared Hosting is not the most sorted one. This is where VPS Web Hosting comes into the picture.
What is VPS Web Hosting?
VPS Hosting is considered to provide a dedicated environment without paying for the whole server. Based on the concept of virtualization, a single physical server is partitioned into multiple virtual environments through the means of software called hypervisors. Each virtual environment works in isolation and can host a website with a fixed amount of resources.
Benefits of moving to VPS Hosting
- Low Cost: For many, it is one of the most important determining factors for choosing a hosting type. With VPS Server Hosting, you do not have to pay for the whole physical server; instead, you pay only for the virtual space and the dedicated resources you use. This makes it an ideal choice for growing businesses who are not yet ready to shell out a lot of money, especially in initial stages.
- Security: Shared Hosting is vulnerable to cyberattacks and other security concerns. As the server is shared between multiple websites, a major threat on one website can adversely impact other websites as well. VPS is a more secure option as each virtual environment works in complete isolation. The security provided is more or less akin to that of a Dedicated Server.
- Control: Shared Hosting does not allow much administrative control, whereas VPS Hosting gives complete root access to the user. This allows user to configure and customize their panel as per their requirements. Many panels come pre-installed with the operating system but also allow to install a new one.
- Scalability: Resource requirement for a website is usually low for a new website. However, with the growth in the number of visitors, the resource requirement also changes. Virtual Server Hosting allows its users to change the amount of resource allocated for a website dynamically. This is especially crucial for e-commerce websites which experiences a sudden spike in traffic during sale seasons.
- Portability: With the VPS Hosting, the need of renting a physical server is eliminated. Moving your data to another hosting server becomes much more portable than before. You could easily upgrade or downgrade without experiencing downtime.
- Environment-friendly: As a single physical server hosts multiple websites through virtualization, it is an environment-friendly step. VPS Hosting has far less carbon footprint than a Dedicated Hosting, where the resources of the server are just used for a single website.
VPS Web Hosting is considered to provide the best of both worlds. At one end, it is pocket-friendly as the server can host multiple websites; on the other, it allocates a dedicated environment with dynamic scalability of resources. This makes it a go-to choice for people who are not satisfied with the limitations that come with Shared Hosting.